Friday, April 11, 2014

Parenting is Hard!

Today, Heath had a bad day. His behavior at school was less than desirable. In turn, I had a bad day. I worried all afternoon about my parenting skills, the kind of children I am raising, and whether or not they will ever be productive citizens. At school I administered punishments to Heath and talked to him about his behavior. I was furious with the way he acted. Later in the afternoon with prompting from my mom and husband, I decided to let it go. He had been talked to and punished, it was time to let him start fresh. When we got home this afternoon, I pulled Heath into my lap and reminded him how much I love him.  I told him that we all have bad days and that he just needed to strive to be better from that point on. Then I wrapped him in a long hug. During that hug, tears poured from my eyes because I do love that kid, and parenting is hard...

....then he blew a raspberry on my arm. I laughed, gave the boy a kiss, and sent him on his way. I was reminded that just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you have a bad life. I am incrediably blessed. Tomorrow is a new day. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...