I have recently started following a blog called The MOB Society. The MOB stands for Mothers of Boys. They give a lot of inspiring articles on how to raise young boys into Godly men. I really enjoy reading this blog.
Today when I clicked on the link to read the update, I felt really put into my place. Number 1 hit me hard. I am that parent. I am the helicopter mom. I have a really hard time allowing them to "fall" in any manner. I'm going to try really hard from this point on to turn their safety over to God and to allow them to experience the adventures they were created to crave.
Number 2 hit me hard too. I have a wonderful husband who loves to rough house with the boys and more often than not, I am the one that pulls the "no-rough-housing-in-the-house" card. I'm going to be better at that one too.
Here is a copy of the first part of the article, but don't forget to go by and check out The MOD Society yourself.
Three Ways a Mother Can Negatively Impact Her Boys
1. Being over-protective.
All three of my boys have a heart for adventure. My oldest son has already joined the Army National Guard and is excitedly looking forward to his two week summer assignment which will include camping, shooting guns and driving humvees.
As babies, they were climbers. I should have had a special chair in the waiting room at the ER when the boys were younger and our days were filled with tree houses, dirt bikes and other adventures. My instinct was to say no to anything that would put my sweet little guys in danger. Thankfully, their father spoke the truth into my life that a girly girl like me doesn’t have to understand their need for adventure for it to exist. When we keep our boys from feeling the rush of a new adventure, we are injuring their heart. I would rather make a few trips to the ER for some stitches than damage the inner man God is creating.
Sometimes, we mother’s need to look the other way and let our boys experience the adventures they were created to crave.
Reducing the risk our boys are exposed to when they are still under our influence and protection pretty much guarantees they will go looking for it the minute they can get out from under our over protective thumbs. Trust your son to the God that entrusted him to you in the first place.
2. Limiting physical outlets.
I have to admit, rough housing gets on my nerves. My sons are all taller than me now and still like to wrestle around with their dad. I roll my eyes and sometimes even leave the room or send them outside but I don’t stop them.
The book Bringing Up Boys (affiliate link) by Dr. Dobson helped me tremendously with this issue when the boys were smaller. Apparently, God purposefully designed them to want to prove their masculinity. It is normal {I know, it surprised me too} for them to be so stinkin’ physical. So, cover your eyes and plug your ears, but whatever you do, don’t keep your sons from having an outlet to release their physical energy and prove their strength.
The 3rd one is great too, check it out at the following address.
http://www.themobsociety.com/2012/10/three-ways-a-mother-can-negatively-impact-her-boys/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMobSociety+%28The+MOB+Society%29
Monday, October 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Post a Comment