I live in a bubble. I like it there.
The other day some fellow teachers were talking about a cruise ship that crashed. They had been going on about it for about 10 minutes, talking about the captain and the crew members when I had to stop them and get them to recap the highlights of this ship wreck since I knew nothing about it. They stared at me open jawed and couldn’t believe that I hadn’t seen anything on the news about this wreck.
That’s when I explained to them that I didn’t have TV (cable, satellite, etc...).
We have been without TV at our house for almost a year and I love it. Chris and I decided that we were being drawn into trashy TV sitcoms and we decided that there really was nothing good on that was beneficial to our kids (or us), so we had it cut off.
Now, don’t get me wrong, we do have Netflix, which can show Thomas or Diego at the touch of a button. It’s $8 a month. Best money I’ve ever spent. We spend more time as a family, playing games, and cooking together. We can still occasionally watch a family movie. There are many days that the TV never even gets turned on.
So what am I missing? The news? I have an app for the local news on my phone, but to be honest with you I only use it to check the weather so I will know what kind of clothes to wear. The news is so depressing. Even now, looking at the news app, the top few headlines are: Woman Sentenced to Probation in Death of Niece, Car Plows through Home, and Student Suicide on the Rise. Who wants to read (or watch) stories like that? They just put a damper on your day. I don’t need the negativity in my life. It just brings you down. I like my bubble.
I don't want to know about how dangerous the border is. That way, when my husband gets sent down there to work, I will be able to sleep. I find that people always let you know the important things.
I do miss having some sports channels, but did you know that MANY games are televised on the Internet. I watched the Super Bowl on my laptop and had great access to all of the funniest commercials (the only reason to watch the Super Bowl in my opinion).
Chris watches his favorite, Fox News, on the Internet, too. He is the political guru of the family. He will tell me who to vote for in the presidential elections.
I guess I’m saying all of this to tell you, if something is happening around me and you think I ought to know about it, please tell me. I live in a bubble. I like it there.
August
8 years ago

2 comments:
I'm not sure what to think of this?!? I will have to ponder this idea of no television and whether or not I should catch u up on the vampire diaries. But then again, maybe more information about the capsized cruise ship would be of better use to u! Ha!
I am right there with you! I don't keep up with news either. We have t.v. but only for the last three months out of the last 10 years. And we only turn it on rarely--usually after the kids go to bed or for family movie night. Jeff and the boys like to watch sports, and we all like to watch cooking shows together occasionally. Jeff keeps up with the news online and fills me in on what he thinks I should know. He also advises me on who to vote for in elections. And, like you, I'm perfectly happy in my little bubble world!
Post a Comment